In southeastern Oklahoma, lies a large clear blue reservoir, Broken Bow Lake. The lake is surrounded by Beavers Bend State Park, sprawling across the foothills of the Kiamichi Mountains.
Nine miles south lies the town of Broken Bow, which sounds like the name would be derived from the rich Native American history of the area. Broken Bow was named after Broken Bow, Nebraska.
Broken Bow grew up around the railroad, but lumber was the major industry. Now the recreational resorts around Broken Bow Lake draw in well over 1 million visitors each year. The lake and the surrounding park are beautiful in any season.
Things to do in Broken Bow:
- Broken Bow Lake offers 14,000 acres of water, islands and nearly 180 miles of shoreline to explore and photograph. You can go boating, water skiing, paddle boarding, swimming, and fishing. Boats, canoes, and jet skis are available for rent.
- Beavers Bend State Park has miles of hiking trails, beautiful in the spring and summer, spectacular in the fall. Deer and birds are plentiful. Trails range up to 12 miles and wander past waterfalls and creeks, down to the Mountain Fork River, and up to the heights for fantastic views.
- Mountain Fork River is known for its superb trout fishing. It also has Class I and Class II rapids for a safe white water experience for canoes, kayaks, rafts, kids and families.
- Local wineries and breweries offer tastings, a fun way to spend an afternoon.
- Horses are available for riding through the park.
- Rugaru Adventures will take you on a zipline tour of six ziplines, each offering a unique thrill.
- ATV trails through the park allow you to experience nature at a faster rate.
- A small train runs through the forest, great for kids and adults alike. For a faster ride, try the go-karts in Broken Bow.
- Broken Bow has a number of excellent cafes and restaurants, antique shops, candy shops, and boutiques.
- Choctaw Broken Bow Casino offers gambling and concerts.
There’s even the Hochatown Saloon for live music and dancing. Broken Bow Lake and its surroundings are a great place to vacation or to live.